Now called Jameson’s Medical Hall, this beautiful piece of architecture was built around 1780

Round-headed door opening to centre with Gibbsian1 stone surround having moulded archivolt, single-pane fanlight and timber bolection-panelled door over two steps. Bronze plaque fixed to front façade reading, ‘This plaque marks the birthplace of Francis Sheehy-Skeffington (1878-1916). Advocate of women’s equality, socialist, pacifist and journalist. Unveiled on the occasion of 22nd July 2003 by his grand-daughter Micheline Sheehy-Skeffington as part of the Bilberry Festival 2003′.

A balanced symmetrical facade with wider spacing to the central bay, demonstrating the importance given to proportion in eighteenth century classical architecture. The facade is further distinguished by a well-preserved nineteenth century shopfront of high quality. The house also retains good sash windows and a classic doorcase and door. The house is a well preserved example of the eighteenth century street architecture of the town and forms an integral part of the urban landscape that makes up the Main Street, making a valuable contribution to the historic character of the town of Bailieborough.

The house is of considerable historical significance as the birthplace of Francis Sheehy-Skeffington (1878-1916), pacifist, advocate of women’s rights and writer, who was killed by British forces during the 1916 Easter Rising.

  1. The term derives from the 18th-century English architect, James Gibbs (1692-1754), a leading figure in the Anglo-Palladian movement. ↩︎