Built: 1800 – 1840

Supervalu, Bailieborough, is located in an elegant Georgian-style building forming part of a continuous terrace, which constitutes an important architectural set-piece on the main street of Bailieborough. The elevation is characterised by evenly spaced sash windows in four bays, with a wider southern bay over the carriage arch. It retains most of its historic form and good quality external features including the windows, shared roofline, and chimneystacks with original pots.

Philip Tierney was born and grew up in Bailieborough in the 1940s. His parents had a grocery and hardware shop on Main Street, where Supervalu now stands. He himself worked in the pharmaceutical industry for all of his life. Phil lived in Mullingar, Co Westmeath, for over 40 years but he was always a staunch Bailieborough man at heart. Phil was very interested in history — especially local History and he built up a huge collection of Cavan postcards, which included many of Bailieborough and its surrounds. Phil bought his first postcard in Willie Coleman’s, Main St, for one penny and a similar one on eBay is now €200-300.