By Carmel O’Callaghan

Dr. James Taylor died in August 1810, aged 45 he was buried in Urcher graveyard. (McKeague, L. 2013, Trinity Presbyterian Church Bailieborough, p. 112).

Dr John Wright was listed in the Tenants of the Manor of Bailieborough in 1805 for Drumbannon. Dr. John Wright, died in Bailieborough on the 14th March 1823. His obituary in Freeman’s Journal on Wednesday 2 April 1823 stated that he ‘adorned a long life by an irreproachable, disinterested and honourable character. Dr. Wright as a husband, a father, a man and a Christian, endeared him to the domestic and social circles in which he moved. His suavity of manners and purity of morals, his cheerful temper and conciliating disposition, his usefulness in life, and resignation at death, will live long in the recollection of a numerous acquaintance, who, in his death, deeply and deservedly deplore their irreparable loss.

Dr William Wright On 27 July 1856, Dr. Wright was involved in the death of an eight year old boy, an inmate of the work house, who came by his death suddenly, from the effects of strychnine, administered in a mixture of jalap prescribed by him who mistook a bottle containing strychnine for one containing calomel, whilst acting as locum tenens for the medical officer of the workhouse.  Read More

Dr. Mark Moore is mentioned in the Cancelled Rental Valuation Books. He was leasing a house (The Laurels) and dispensary from Thomas Chambers on the Virginia Road.
In September 1849, he applied for the position as medical officer for the temporary fever hospital at Bailieborough. Read More

Dr. Joseph Clarke died on 10 April 1878, aged 63. He was buried in Urcher graveyard. He had been ill for 12 months before he died. (McKeague, L. 2013, Trinity Presbyterian Church Bailieborough, p. 112).
Dr. Joseph Clarke’s obituary stated: It is with feelings of sorrow we announce this week the death of Dr Joseph Clarke, Medical Officer of the Bailieboro’ Dispensary District. The demise took place on Monday night last. Deceased was 38 years of age, 15 of which he spent in charge of Bailieboro’ Dispensary.  The news of his death, which was rather sudden and unexpected, caused a painful shock to all the inhabitants of Bailieboro’ and the surroundings, among whom he had not a single enemy. He was always devoted to the discharge of his duties, and to the poor was most charitable, he being said to have spent a considerable part of his means in relieving distress wherever he saw the necessity. From his social and agreeable manner he was a great favourite about Bailieboro’, and had a very extensive practice. To his brothers and friends we tender our sympathy in their great affliction. The funeral, which took place on Wednesday, was very largely attended, and showed the esteem in which he was held by rich and poor. The remains were interred in the church grounds within a short distance of his residence. Amongst those present were :—Messrs Richard Clarke, P L G; Robert Clarke and Jas Clarke (brothers); Henry Kellett and John Clarke (brother’s-in-law); Dr Ryan, J P, Bailieboro’; Dr. Caldwell, J P Virginia; Dr Bourke, Shercock ; Dr. Dempsey, Kingscourt ; Dr Lundie, Ballyjamesduff; Dr Hall, Bailieboro’ etc. (The Anglo-Celt, 25 February 1893)

Dr. John Lundie died at his residence in Bailieborough on 28 June, 1917 at the early age of 52 years. He had a very extensive practice over a radius of 30 miles … Read More

Dr. Richard Ryan—On the morning of July 12th 1871, there stepped from the Dublin train at Kells station a tall, handsome, young man, who, in a soft southern accent, inquired if a car from Bailieboro’ awaited him. Read More

Dr Matthew John Cusack took up practice in Bailieborough in 1926 and lived in ‘The Laurels’, Barrack Street. Read More

Dr. Denis Harding was born in 1901 in Limerick Prison where his father was chief warden. He registered as a doctor on 15th Feb 1924. He moved to England where he met and married Marie Therese Duffy. Read More

Dr. Rowan began practice at ‘The Laurels’ on the 6 October 1951. He did not stay long as The Meath Chronicle reported that on 1 November 1952, Mr. Richard Murray, manager of Bailieborough branch of the Labour Exchange, had purchased Dr. Rowan’s residence who has gone to reside in Co, Donegal.

Dr. Patrick Kevin Ryan, was born in Bailieborough on 12 February 1890, he died on 24 February 1948. He was appointed Medical Officer on the Dispensary District 29 years ago in succession to the late Dr. Lundie. He graduated from University College, Dublin, in 1918, and was a member of the Irish Medical Association. Deceased was son of the late Dr. Richard Ryan, M.O., Bailieborough Workhouse, brother of the late Dr. Thomas Ryan, Kingscourt, Mr. Richard Ryan and Mr. James Ryan (both well known solicitors in Dublin). Attentive to his patients and deeply interested in their welfare, the deceased enjoyed a very large measure of popularity. The deepest sympathy goes out to the bereaved widow and family. There was a large and representative, attendance at the funeral. (The Anglo-Celt, 28 February, 1948)

Dr. Robert McElwaine died at an advanced age (80). His death is much regretted. He was for many years medical officer of Termon dispensary district, and enjoyed a wide practice. (The Anglo-Celt, 3 April 1937).

Dr Eugene McKiernan was in Bailieborough from Dec 1949 to September 1952.

Dr. Eugene MacDonagh
In 1952, Dr. MacDonagh was appointed District Medical Officer, Bailieboro’ and was held in the highest respect by his patients and by everyone who knew him. It was widely acknowledged by all that he was one of the best doctors in the county. Read More

Dr. Philip Carroll.
The entire area was deeply saddened to learn of the death of Dr. Philip (P. J.) Carroll, Inisfail, Chapel Road, at his residence, after a long illness, aged eighty years, on Friday 12th of April last. A native of Bailieboro, Philip was educated in St. Anne’s National School and St. Patrick’s College, Cavan. After leaving St. Pats, Philip went to U.C.D. where he got his degree in Medicine in 1942. Philip then returned to Bailieboro where he set up a dispensary encompassing the entire Bailieboro area and the Mullagh area.
A very kind and compassionate man, Philip proved himself to be one of the best medical practitioners in the county. Everyone who sought advice or help was always welcome at his door and he was particularly helpful to those people, who were not so well off. Philip retired from practice ten years ago.
In his spare time Philip was a passionate and active member of the G.A.A. He was medical adviser to the Cavan County sides in the 1930’s, 40’s, 50’s and 60’s. He was also a member of the backroom teams, of the All-Ireland winning side of 1947,1948 and 1952. He was also honorary president of the Bailieboro’ Shamrocks G.A.A. Club for many years. He was a keen golfer and was a member of Virginia Golf club where he was Club Captain in 1968 and Club President in 1974.Philip’s passing is deeply regretted by the entire community and deepest sympathy is extended to his family and relatives. Philip was predeceased by his wife Angela, only last year.
Philip is survived by-his daughters Maureen (Wicklow), Barbara (Spain) and Elizabeth (Bailieboro),’ sons-in-law and grandchildren. Philip is also survived by his brothers, Very Rev. Canon James Carroll (Killeshandra) and his sister, Mrs. Lil Higgins, (Main Street, Bailieboro), relatives and a very large circle of friends.
A very large and representative attendance was present at the removal of his remains from his residence to St. Anne’s Chapel, on Saturday evening, April 13th. Many of the surviving members of the ’47, ’48 and ’52 Cavan teams were present at the Concelebrated Mass on Sunday, April 14th and afterwards at the interment of his remains in St. Anne’s cemetery. (The Anglo Celt, 25 April, 1996).