Built: 1830 – 1840

Replacing an earlier church to the north-west, this church was not consecrated until 1843, seven years after its construction. It was probably designed by William Farrell and is characteristic of the type built by the Church of Ireland in the early decades of the century with funding from the Board of First Fruits, with the later addition of a transept. The church is a substantial Gothic Revival structure, which retains its early form, fabric, and character, including lattice and stained glass windows of artistic merit. The vestry, south transept and porch are later additions, dating to 1865-6, by Welland & Gillespie. Parochial hall to west of church, built 1871.

Photo Credit – Maria Jordan-O’Reilly

Also of note is the stained glass window by James Watson of Youghal dated 1906.

Photo Credit – Maria Jordan-O’Reilly

 The church is positioned on the central axis of Bailieborough, a recurring feature in Irish planned towns laid out in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, reflecting the central role of the Established Church in that period. It forms an elegant and imposing landmark, being the key architectural focus of the town and remains an important part of the architectural heritage of Cavan.

We can now view the architectural drawings of the church on https://archdrawing.ireland.anglican.org/. Just search Bailieborough and you will find the plans and documents relating to the building.