Built: 1845 – 1850

Model school, built 1848, extended between 1870 and 1882. Now in use as primary school. Built on a site donated by Sir John Young, and remodelled soon after it was built by Frederick Darley, the Tudor Revival architectural design of this building is similar to that used by Darley for the large scale model he designed in Dunmanway, Co.Cork, dated 1848. It was extended later in the century using the same architectural idiom. Its Tudor Revival style brings a new architectural style to the town, and makes an attractive addition to the streetscape. A purpose built primary school, it was also a training centre for trainee teachers, who were taught the most up to date and modern teaching methods. An agricultural department was also associated with the school, to educate post primary students in best agricultural practises.

Francis Sheehy Skeffington

It was here that Dr. Joseph Bartholomew Skeffington, inspector of schools, was working when his only child Francis (1878–1916), was born on 23 December 1878.

Tom Barron

In 1950, Tom Barron from Knockbride, a wonderful teacher and historian became principal of this school. In January 1956 he was one of the founder members of Cumann Seanchais Bhreifne. He contributed articles to their ‘Breifne’ journal and served as president from 1989-1992.  Jonathan Smyth, has written an excellent book called Gentleman & Scholar, Thomas Barron 1903-1992, about Master Barron.